Monday, August 15, 2011

5:30am comes pretty damn early in the morning!

I didn't sleep well, maybe I was nervous. Of course it didn't help that I had kitty mortal combat by my head at 2:30 am or the phone call and text message at 4am. What's up? Umm, it's 4am and I am sleeping, no correction I was sleeping. I saw a different world walking my dog at 6am. For example, young people do live in my neighborhood. I usually only see the retired folk during the day. Also, a lot of people are up at that time. What happened to 9-5, or do you all wake up that early?




My first day at the new hospital (after the HR presentation, I can no longer name the hospital! :)) brought about many questions. Such as: Are sandals business casual? Do business casual skirts have to be knee length? I decided to be formal and wear shoes. However, the thought that even though the shoes hurt a lot, they might not hurt as badly if I don't walk a lot is false. I decided to go against the knee length skirt and wear one shorter and let me tell you demonstrating proper body mechanics lifting and placing a box on the floor was interesting (and lame).




Ok, must focus on the positives. Here are the top 10:




10. The isolation gowns are disposable and made so you can just rip them off your body so you don't have to touch the outside.




9. Music plays q2 hours to remind you to turn your patients.




8. Parking to building was 10 seconds




7. All of the other full time RNs starting with me seem nice




6. Their infection control policy and diligence on preventing the spread was facinating and truly superior to other places I have been.



5. They use walkie-talkies for communication. Do you think it would get old if I ended each thing I said with "over" and responding to everything with "10-4" and threw in a "Do you copy" every once in a while?



4. I get a day with RT, wound nurse, and working in the lab and six days devoted to education and classes (one full day for EKG interpretation and medications we will administer: vasopressors, vasodialators, insulin, chemo....).



3. I now know what to tell people when they ask me what the hell is the new hospital? "It is a speciality hospital devoted to the critically, chronically ill patients. Many of whom have suffered a trauma, unexpected event during major surgery, respiratory failure, or complex wounds. Many of our pt's come from the ICUs of local hospitals because we are a more cost effective approach (medicare will pay here but not at hospitals) and more holistic." Well, at least I know what to say.



2. Lunch today: salad bar, bowl of soup, large drink, bread option, and dessert: employee cost $3. Not paying $11 for salad bar alone at old hospital: priceless.... um sort of.



1. FREE COFFEE. Not only free coffee, but your choice of regular, vanilla, or hazelnut. Well now atleast I know I won't be the scape goat at the new gig for running out of coffee on the unit!







That's it for now. I am feeling the post break up effects from Regions. So I must stay positive.





2 comments:

  1. AHH I loves this!! Ok, highlights: FREE COFFEE. 2, 8, 9 & 10 are awesome (what kind of music? elevator music? BSB?). A disappointment but not disappointing: 5 no voceras :( but walkie talkies are possibly more fun then voceras and you must end every conversation with 'over' else how will people know its over?! haha. Lastly, 3 &4: 3 is helpful... i had never heard of your new place so this helps alot! And it sounds pretty cool, i'm sure you'll have lots of interesting pt with crazy interesting/sad/awesome stories. 4 is just plain sweet-- take all the free education you can get!

    Thanks for sharing Shannon OOOOO. And keep the bloggin' going :) And keep up that positive attitude!! Great things are going to come from this experience, just give yourself some time to transition and find your groove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought: FREE COFFEE?!?! MATCH MADE IN HOSPITAL HEAVEN!!!

    I hope today was awesome...you are going to be fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete