Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vertical and Horizontal Violence

Ok, I have decided that this blog will be a happy place. If not, I will start singing a certain Cee Lo Green song. That may have to be my first live performance actually because it is a great song. Anyway. Day 3 of 5:30am days have brought back that old familiar feeling of sleep deprivation that accompanied nursing school. Is everything moving slower? (30 seconds after driving through intersection) Was that light green? I hope so, I know I checked but now I don't remember what it was. Have I really been staring off into space for 15 minutes? I am sorry, what were you talking about?


Vicky: They played 'Taking Care of Business' as one of the q2 turning songs. It plays everyday at 8am. I will keep you updated on any others!


Here is my not so serious list of negatives, since I am staying positive!:


1. It is guaranteed that Taking Care of Business will now be stuck in my head each day I work from 8-10am.


2. Light blue scrubs=sweat stains and coffee stains



3. Only doctors are allowed to use the sauna and lounge with big screen tvs. No seriously.



4. 2005 called, they want their charting system back. I lived through paper charting and transition to EPIC once and I just can't wait to do it again!


5. I have yet to see even one package of crackers or peanut butter.


6. Fentanyl PCA pumps? It is not mandated that people on PCA pumps be on continuous pulse ox? Yeah, I see no problem with that.


7. No eating or drinking allowed unless you are break? But how am I going to take full advantage of FREE COFFEE then?


8. I think all HUCs are PCAs, all nursing assistants are from PT, all respiratory are ED RNs, all PT are RNs, and when I look in the mirror I do a double take thinking I am going into the OR.


Onto the good: If the doctors write an order for a lesser restraint (mitts), it is up to ME if I want to also tie your hands down. So watch it!

I had a class today on Vertical and Horizontal Violence. Why are we so mean to each other in health care? I know it happens everywhere but why so much in a profession where all we are supposed to doi is love and take care of our patients? I know I am not perfect, but I have never gone out of my way to intentionally screw someone over. My favorite point was that no one superior to you can threaten your job. I will be happy to have that in writing this time. Everything seems really relaxed (so far, day 3. We will see). No one is a strong, aggressive personality. No one outwardly says they get what they want no matter how they have to get it. Everyone is focused out patient care.


It made me think a lot about how I treat others too. It is hard as a RN to not view your duties more important than PCAs (which I HATED as a PCA), HUCs, dietary, or any non-licensed personel because I have a license on the line. But I am no better or important than anyone else. We all have a job to do and different stresses and different people on our cases to get things done. I think every workplace should have an open discussion about it. However, they have responses to these workplace incidents and I can tell you they don't work! Well, maybe in a perfect world. I know that my old hospital wasn't in a perfect world and I will put money on my new one not being perfect either.





On a happy note, my sister had a baby today!!!! She was able to push a 10 lb 2 ounce baby out! She is my hero!






No comments:

Post a Comment