Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I am supposed to do this all in 12 hours???

I had day 3 and 4 on the floor today and yesterday. I am pretty sure I love the patient population. However, my pt's today were: 1. Guillan Barre pt with a hgb of 6.5. 2. SAH with frequent neuro checks and new CT showing hydrocephalus. 3. A CHFer with increasing breathing problems and wound vac that needed attention (his femoral artery ruptured while in his first hospital!). AND 4. A vent pt that was going to be discharged today to LTC-who as soon as we saw her that was d/c'd because she was in respiratory distress.
Don't get me wrong, I love it. But holy crap. Plus, we already had an admission lined up for our discharge so my preceptor took that still since there were 2 of us (for 3 hours!!!) while I tended to the others. It gave me confidence that I could do it though. I can see where the burnout rate would be really high. But so far I think it is great. Time flies by, it seems like each time I look at the clock 2 hours has gone by.
I really miss working with people I am close with though. I am feeling a void. Although, I am enjoying my anonymous status and staying out of the drama. Who has time to be in it anyway?!?
Some fun facts:
- Per new neurology recommendations, I was pushing cooled coffee down my SAH pt's G-tube for vasospasms.
- I drew blood out of someones foot yesterday!!!
- If you get body fluids on your scrubs the hospital will send them out for you and get them washed properly.
- I ate lunch today with some MDs, RNs, CNAs, and the CEO of the hospital today and everyone was friendly with each other.
- I have already done more PICC dressing changes that I ever care to do again.
- I have been in more isolation rooms than I care to ever be in again.
- I tried logging out of my walkie-talkie yesterday.
- If you like wounds, you must come here. I had my hand in a sacral wound today and was touching touching his hip.
While I am realizing that this place is a bit more long term than I would really care to admit, a doctor described it right on today: "Our pts are the 1% of cases that you are warned about. They come into the hospital and everything that could possibly go wrong does. They are stabilized and sent here so we can clean up the mess."
I am glad to have tomorrow off. While fun and crazy, I feel like I just ran a marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment